Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

First v7 site to v8 upgrade a success!

Asked Modified Viewed 3,088 times
W
Wanabo
W
Wanabo 10
www.probemyip.com/probe-my-ip-80x15.png
pHp-Fusion.Asia & pHp-Fusion.Fr & pHp-Fusion.Cn are available for a localized support community. Send PB for info.
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 598 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 94 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

After 2 new installs of version v8 and reintegrating all most all modifications from v7 into the new v8 files, I was ready today for my first upgrade of an existing v7 site.

It didn't went smooth, but after today's experience I'm confident the rest of the old v7 sites will go smooth!

Problems encountered.
- htaccess was rewritten which caused the update script to fail. Reverting to the old htaccess fixed this problem. For what it is worth this occurred on a subdomain, the url showed the subdomain twice. (merged old and new htaccess files afterwards)
- config.php needs to be updated, but the installer forgets to mention to remove/comment the old line: $db_driver = "mysqli"; (I don't think this causes problems because the line $db_driver = "pdo"; is placed later).
- I didn't upload the new themes directory, because I didn't want to lose customization in the themes. But this prevented me to go to the administration environment, because in v8 this is completely new. Renamed my old themes with the addition -v7 and uploaded the new themes. After that the complete site is functional.
- The error log was full of new errors, but that was because I tested the site before uploading all new files. After clearing the error log, no new error messages have appeared.

On my new v8 installs I encountered problems with multiple languages. I completely screwed my site over by adding and removing languages. After that I decided to only use the English locale directory, but translate the contents to the language I want. (Note, I left the admin environment in English, just the public parts are translated. In my opinion every webmaster should know some basic English.)

So before I upgraded v7 to v8 I switched to English and uploaded my English (in fact Dutch) Upgrade_7.02.07_8.00.22 files. After upgrading I uploaded all the (including custom modded) v8 files, including locale/English (containing Dutch). Result a fine working v8 site.
Upgrade was done on php 7.0 (yes this was a modded v7 version to work with php7). After that I switched to php 7.2, still everything ok. smile
0 replies

15 posts

A
afoster
A
  • Contributed 725 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 128 threads in the forums
answered

As I am contemplating upgrading a 7.02.07 site which is on a subdomain, I appreciate your post. BTW, where did you get version 8.00.22, as I thought it had been upgraded to 8.00.21 only? I will definitely be reviewing this post as I attempt my upgrade.
0 replies
F
Falk
F
Falk 131
Need help?, Having trouble?
• View our Documentation for Guides, Standards and Functions
• Name and Organize your Topics and Content correctly in the corresponding Forums for best support results
• Attaching Log Files and Screenshots when reporting issues will help
• Provide with an URL to live example if one exists
• Please read the How to Report an Error post
• Please read and comply with the Code of Conduct

(¯·._.·(¯°·._.·°º*[ Project Manager ]*º°·._.·°¯)·._.·¯)
  • Super Admin, joined since
  • Contributed 6,201 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 639 threads in the forums
  • Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

- htaccess was rewritten which caused the update script to fail. Reverting to the old htaccess fixed this problem. For what it is worth this occurred on a subdomain, the url showed the subdomain twice. (merged old and new htaccess files afterwards)
That is good info, we need to check that, https://github.com/PHPFusion/PHPFusion/issues/2211

- config.php needs to be updated, but the installer forgets to mention to remove/comment the old line: $db_driver = "mysqli"; (I don't think this causes problems because the line $db_driver = "pdo"; is placed later).

It should not affect if placed below as mentioned. On an ordinary 7 install that line does not exist. Only mods have it.

- The error log was full of new errors, but that was because I tested the site before uploading all new files. After clearing the error log, no new error messages have appeared.

Yes, fully normal until all is settled.

On my new v8 installs I encountered problems with multiple languages.

We had some issues on the early versions but afaik, they should have been resolved on 8.00.2x
1 reply
R
Anonymous User
R
Anonymous User 367
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 939 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 2 threads in the forums
  • Answered 20 questions
answered
Veteran Member

V8.00.19 : https://github.com/PHPFusion/PHPFusion/blob/8.00.19/themes/Atom-X8/functions.php#L71

Better way
if ($field_value['value'] == '0') {
 $value = "<i class='fa fa-user'></i> ".$locale['ax8_13'];
 } else if ($field_value['value'] == '1') {
 $value = "<i class='fa fa-venus'></i> ".$locale['ax8_14'];
 } else if ($field_value['value'] == '2') {
 $value = "<i class='fa fa-mars'></i> ".$locale['ax8_15'];
 }
1 reply
R
Anonymous User
R
Anonymous User 367
  • Answered 20 questions
answered
Veteran Member

Bootstrap hamburger menu css icon
<span class='icon-bar'></span>

Yes it works, but you need to enable font awesome. Perhaps with a FA check this would be better. (Or use images like in the original) If FA is enabled do it your way. If FA is disabled do it my way.

Yeah
1 reply
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
  • Fusioneer, joined since
  • Contributed 2,246 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 108 threads in the forums
answered
Fusioneer

Thanks for the insight Wanabo... doing my next few attempts this weekend, if it fails again.... well, back to square 0.
0 replies
F
Falk
F
Falk 131
• Name and Organize your Topics and Content correctly in the corresponding Forums for best support results

• Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

- gateway is not usable on non English sites because of the calculation question. Answers cannot be translated to for example Dutch. How can I disable only the calculation question? (Better is an universal solution.)

The idea is to build on this one, we will give it a configuration interface with more dynamics and custom options.
The question and correct answers in words are all localized, should not "What is Sixteen + 8 in Words" be translatable?
0 replies
W
Wanabo
W
Wanabo 10
pHp-Fusion.Asia & pHp-Fusion.Fr & pHp-Fusion.Cn are available for a localized support community. Send PB for info.
answered

Example: What is Twenty + 6 in Words
Answer: twentysix
In Dutch the answer would be: zesentwintig (translated literally to English; sixandtwenty)
This cannot be anticipated when translating the gateway.php locale file.
$locale['gateway_021'] = "Twenty";
$locale['gateway_006'] = "Six";

We don't say: twintigzes
And there is no locale for en
0 replies
W
Wanabo
W
Wanabo 10
answered

Problem encountered updating. After updating the standard theme was NOT Atom-X8, this was caused by a user_field which was enabled in the past to set a theme in your profile.
The upgrade script should reset the theme for the user who is doing the upgrade to default in table users column user_theme to prevent any confusion. (Perhaps even reset to default for all users, to prevent old not 100% compatible themes throwing errors in the error log or worse)
0 replies
W
Wanabo
W
Wanabo 10
answered

Thought about multi locale.
Always use English for upgrade (check language setting in your site to be English)
Enabling other languages afterward which are not 100% compatible with new v8 causes problems. The php-fusion software only checks if a locale file is present but it should all so check if the corresponding locale string is present. If not use default English. I think this could prevent a lot of errors and problems.
1 reply
F
Falk
F
Falk 131

• Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

@the coders, would ini_set('max_execution_time', 43200); //12 hours in the upgrade script help prevent timing out the script?

Yes, but you need to boost both PHP and MySQL execution times, depending on database sizes more resource heavy actions might also need a tad more memory.

Wanted to delete a thread, but leads to a blank page. forum/options.php?step=delete&forum_id=8&thread_id=245

Ok, the blank page should not be, but the other is a known issue inherited from 7 afaik. : https://github.com/PHPFusion/PHPFusion/issues/2039
Edited by N/A on 29-04-2019 08:03,
1 reply
W
Wanabo
W
Wanabo 10
answered

Upgraded https://www.phpfusion-nederlands.info/ to v8.

I was a little nervous because this is the first site with a large database (20mb) and this would be a showcase if the rest of the sites with big databases will encounter problems.
The UTF-8 conversion took about 35 minutes, but after 30 minutes I got a 504 Gateway timeout from Nginx. But by monitoring the load of my server I guessed the conversion process was still running.
Afterwards I double checked if new tables were there and the old ones where altered to utfmb4. All seemed in order. After uploading the new files all worked as expected. smile
0 replies
F
Falk
F
Falk 131

• Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

Good news!
0 replies
F
Falk
F
Falk 131

• Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

On a side note, to reduce loading time you can identify Chars needed for conversion on your given language and cut the function short.
Now it takes our full list and compare them all, naturally that will cause some increased load.

For exaple in Swedish I only need, ( Also for lower case ) and in scenarios questions marks etc.. But it still reduce the load by a lot.

dbquery("UPDATE ".$table." SET ".$column['Field']." = REPLACE(".$column['Field']." ,'Ã¥','Å')");
dbquery("UPDATE ".$table." SET ".$column['Field']." = REPLACE(".$column['Field']." ,'ö','ö')");
dbquery("UPDATE ".$table." SET ".$column['Field']." = REPLACE(".$column['Field']." ,'Ä','Ä')");
0 replies
W
Wanabo
W
Wanabo 10
answered

That is a great tip!
I searched these forums for an after upgrade conversion script in case you disable the conversion in upgrade php, I mean the utf-8 conversion part only.
With your tip I can comment out some conversions I think that are not needed to speed up the process. But, and that is also why I need an after upgrade conversion script, I want to make sure also those commented out utf-8 conversions are done later on, just in case I missed some thing.

Yesterday I did an 20 mb database conversion which took about 35 minutes, see elsewhere in this thread. Today I did an 12 mb database conversion which took only 6 minutes. But that was on an other server with more memory. So I don't think I'll encounter time out problems, even with the biggest datebase of 30 mb.

But an after upgrade conversion script is appreciated.
0 replies
W
Wanabo
W
Wanabo 10
answered

Here is some feedback from my users:
When using quick reply you can not preview a message without loosing an attachment. (old v7 bug)
Wen using quick reply you can not switch to full reply keeping your all ready typed message like with other forum software. For example you use quick reply but want to add an attachment you need to switch to reply.
Viewing an attached image in forum can only be closed with escape. The X is probably on the wrong spot. When you click X right bottom corner, very briefly the X is shown top right, but nothing happens.

User request. Like or vote up buttons.
0 replies

Category Forum

Upgrading issues - 8

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 15 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 5 members

5 participants

F
F
Falk 131

• Answered 11 questions
H
H
Homdax 10
  • Fusioneer, joined since
  • Contributed 2,246 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 108 threads in the forums
W
W
Wanabo 10
A
A
  • Contributed 725 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 128 threads in the forums
R
R
Anonymous User 367
  • Answered 20 questions

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet