Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Please Explain The AGPL Copyright

Asked Modified Viewed 3,774 times
A
AusiMods
A
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 31 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

While many do not see an issue with it i must be the odd one out and basically am getting issues thrown at me.
The license says one thing which can be read 2 or more ways dependent on who reads it.
So it has been suggested to me that i ask here since there's no clear answer available @ fsf.org or elsewhere.

Its simple enough really.
The same issue applies to myself as a developer and my clients as owners / users.
Legal sources inform me that the license states clearly that ANY alteration to the code MUST be made available in machine readable format via a visible "get source" link;
In my mind that makes sense and applies to what fusion calls mods. (Core Code modifications); So far i have only 5 clients with a problem.
But then we move on to what is legally an alteration and what is actually covered by this area of the license.
If i write an infusion under fusion standards it must use the functions supplied by the core. So by the time we connect to the database write the pages with themes, bbcodes etc and clean the input validate the input amongst the rest of the little things that can be done basically connection status to the core code in percentages is running very high and then since the infusion is not able to operate in any other system it is classed as 100%..
So its now classed as part of the core anyway.
< START SCENARIO >
A client comes along and wants an infusion created for his restaurant since there's none available or because he needs specific additions (Whatever the reason). So a week planning a week writing and a week testing (Round figures) # a rate of 20 bucks an hour hes up for a fair bill and happy enough. He opens his site and along comes joe blow who decides he needs the infusion. Under the copyright the site owner must now GIVE Joe Blow the script that he paid for development of.
This is good for Who? Certainly not the site Owner
< END SCENARIO >
To the development team of php-fusion and to the lead developer i am sure the license makes sense as it will add to the resources already available to it and them as well as the users of the end result albeit forced results. However to people who either create or pay to have created infusions that they do not want to be public it is really confusing.

Anyone who wants to customize their site to look or act a little differently or even dramatically differently cant because everyone can ask for the code or in fact a link must be supplied for the source. There is no part of the core that escapes this including themes so no one can have a theme just for their site?
No-one can add a little extra security unless they release the code for the hackers to learn.

Basically Every single panel or infusion needs a CVS system attached to show the complete source. Even i know thats just dumb

The list goes on and on but back to basics.

I have a hell of allot of clients currently running both standard and modified version of php-fusion from v5 and yes up to v7 but i am tired of the questions in regard to the new license. Tired of paying for info from a legal team that speaks some foreign language called legalese and really all i want is clarification of the facts as the development team sees it.

In terms that can be understood by the average user developer of your script what is the way the license as used in version 7 of php-fusion supposed to be read.
If it runs on a percentage of connection what is the percentage before a source link must be supplied. Who decides the results of usage.
Is there anyway at all to circumvent this license requirement if not for infusions mods or themes.

The Question although drawn out to show different ideas is the same in every regard "More detail on the source link stuff".

I am losing clients over this at a rate of 1 a day so a little haste would be nice but accuracy is top priority

I'm a basic guy doing a basic job with an understanding of the English language so if you feel inclined to have a go at this at least try to keep it basic.
Please Don't offer links to the license i have read it through so many times if it was a book it would already need replacing.

Ok Over to you and thanx for at least reading.

Edit: Before you jump to conclusions This is nothing at all to do with copyright removal. I know of some clients who have donated and still leave the copyright intact. (Myself Included)
It is also not about free software. I am all for giving stuff away i have done allot of it over the years not only here but within many similar communities. So dont respond with negatives please :)
Edited by N/A on 13-11-2014 23:26,
0 replies

9 posts

M
muscapaul
M
Paul

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like banana (Groucho Marx)

Sites: Diptera.info (site owner); Online-Keys.net (site owner); Sciomyzidae.info (site co-owner); muscapaul.com (defunct; site owner)
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,075 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 8 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

Tentatively (someone will correct me if I am wrong):
1. You can ask for an exemption of making everything available under AGPL by asking for written permission from the copyright holder.
2. A commercial license is in preparation and issues as mentioned by you probably will find a place in it.

Please, make everything available to clients as you always did, as long as you repsect other people's copyright. Enforcement of AGPL license on every mod/infusion will be not 100% as long as you act sensible and responsible because we realise that it will be neigh impossible to make every tiny little modification available.
0 replies
A
AusiMods
A
answered

Thank you Muscapaul for your Tentative but fast response.

However the problem is my clients as much as myself as they don't wish to risk their sites anymore than i wish to develop at a fee just so they have to sacrifice it.
I should of course also point out that while fusion and those related to it may not pursue this type of thing (infringement) they are not able to speak for all users and it only takes on user to create the problems as mentioned since the one who requests the source would most likely then release it under the terms of the license.

Awaiting further responses :)
0 replies
D
DubSev
D
DubSev 10
let's go f***ing mental! la la la la...
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 285 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 5 threads in the forums
answered

AGPL in short, IMO:

- any existing file released under AGPL which has been modified should be made available to the public. (also AGPL and a note with it: what was the original file and what did you do with it)
- any file you've created from scratch yourself, even when it won't run without PF, is your intellectual property, so may be kept private if you wish.

So: if you made an infusion from scratch, you are the owner of the script and you decide which license applies.

That's how I see AGPL.
0 replies
M
muscapaul
M
Paul

Sites: Diptera.info (site owner); Online-Keys.net (site owner); Sciomyzidae.info (site co-owner); muscapaul.com (defunct; site owner)
answered
Veteran Member

AFAIK: When you use the AGPL licensed PHPFusion system (for example by using infusion or using maincore functions means that it needs to be AGPL, unless you have premission from the copyright holder to release it under another license.
I think KEFF sorted that with the fsf.org people.
0 replies
W
wolfbbs
W
  • Contributed 13 posts on the community forums.
answered

I find the questions interesting also. Could a SA reply on this. I only see developers hands being tied if they need to release every mod/infusion they make available. How does a site become unique this way?
0 replies
K
KEFF
K
KEFF 10
Member of Executive Committee. No sites running.
  • Contributed 797 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 32 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

Well, a reasonable proof of this would be helpful. How do we know your not making this along?

Uncalled for such a rude question, imo, what could there be in it to make up such a thing? I've been doing this in my sparetime for almost 5 years by now, I've had nothing but expenses for doing it, did it for the fun of it and questions like that do take the fun away, so I really resent that kind of speculations.

What would be a "reasonable proof" for you? Want me to publish my private emails in here? No way I ever do that. If in doubt, you have every right to email FSF yourself, looking for clarification.

I'm not, nor anybody else in crew, a lawyer, in fact, the people who replies these questions when you do adress FSF are no lawyers either, they work pretty much the same way as we do, on their own time. They do not provide answers chiseled in stone, they give advice to the best of their understanding, probably because no cases of this nature has ever been taken to court, which makes it pretty uncertain as to how to interpret any license to the letter.

And yes, the license is very vague, both AGPL and GPL v 3 are very unclear regarding certain issues, which leaves room for speculations and doubts, which is a pain for everyone involved.

Before I go into answering your questions to the best of my ability, I'd like to recap as to why we did change from GPL to AGPL in the first place: it had everything to do with ripoffs. Ripoffs and nothing else. Nobody embarked the PHPFusion train to make some easy bucks, but we sure did want our copyright to remain intact, as a token of respect for the work we've put into this project.

Under GPL 2 it's allowed to basically do what you want with a software, including actually stealing it, rebranding it and claim it's a totally different product, and that did happen to us on numerous occasions. We got screwed pretty bad and people didn't even have the courtesy to ask before they screwed us and to any man/woman doing a hard job that is truly disgraceful.

AGPL made it possible for us to a): being an Open Source software and b): we were allowed under the previous version of AGPL to charge, legally, for the removal of the copyright, which was not the case under GPL 2.

Since we decided on AGPL 1 version 3 became available and we took the decision to go along with that version instead of the original one.

OK, that's the background.

Now to the questions at hand. xandros mention a software called MyBB, saying that they say etc and that's quite irrelevant, since they are licensed under GPL v 3, we are licensed under AGPL v 3. Although almost identical, the two licenses do differ some. Regarding the copyright notice, they do not differ a bit, under Terms and Conditions, this is the same for both licenses:

An interactive user interface displays "Appropriate Legal Notices" to the extent that it includes a convenient and prominently visible feature that (1) displays an appropriate copyright notice, and (2) tells the user that there is no warranty for the work (except to the extent that warranties are provided), that licensees may convey the work under this License, and how to view a copy of this License. If the interface presents a list of user commands or options, such as a menu, a prominent item in the list meets this criterion.

That is where the copyright footer comes in, it must be visible on all pages of a software, it must contain the following, according to FSF: name of copyright holder, that it is released under AGPL and that it's released without any kind of warranty. Same applies to AGPL and GPL.

So perhaps its more relevant to ask the people behind MyBB why they understand the license the way they do?

And why is it £50 now?

It's not. The Copyright Removal License cost 30£.

And xandros/chankarwing, if you really wanna make a site unique, make your own CMS. Don't jump onto anything licensed under a weak license, remove the copyright and call it your own product. To claim uniqueness, one has to be unique...

While you're at it, make sure you have a valid email adress in here. That is required.

/UPDATE: you have been banned by me again. I don't know who let you back in, but I threw you out again, since youre just here to make trouble. End UPDATE.

Aussi, you have some concerns as well. I contacted FSF with the question you raise in mind and the answer was in short as follows: it's considered a preferred manner to license Infusions etc under the same license as the product under which it runs, in this case AGPL. Nota Bene, the preferred way.

Having that said, it did not mean it was the only way. They mentioned licensing under GPL 3 as an alternative, another one is to ask the copyrightholder for permission, such as permission to use your own license, as you had before. That is one way to solve your problem.

Both GPL 3 and AGPL 3 are approved of both FSF and OSI as free licenses, the latter with stronger copyright protection for the developer. I for one does not want the old license back where it was possible to rip off peoples stuff and it was allowed under that license. Copyright is there for the benefit of the developer, not primarily the customers.

AGPL is superior in my mind primarily because of two things: it does provide any developer a better copyright protection while still being a free alternative, and also, the clause you refer to assures a better flowback to the community as such, since that license covers the SaaS - hole, which the GPL does not.

I'm working on a couple of commercial alternatives as well, licenses that is, one for PHPFusion and one for developers of third party stuff, such as Infusions etc. Not yet quite finished though. Perhaps that can be of interest?

Aussi, if you have any more on this, please PM me. I haven't got the time to take these debates, FSF is there for the asking, anybody can mail them and those in doubt better do that, since they are the ones responsible for the licenses as such, not PHPFusion.

Details about the licenses will be updated as they get finished on this site.
Edited by KEFF on 13-12-2008 18:46,
0 replies
A
AusiMods
A
answered

@ KEFF
Thank you for your response. I must admit to it being about as clear as expected. The license is new in comparison to others and for that reason no one really seems to know how it will work when it comes down to the line and that includes those who use it as well as those who wrote it.
This does not alter the problem for both developers and users who are in the position i mention and i do advise anyone who wants to be "unique" to remain aware of the license.

Feel free to lock this thread if that is your wish as i feel the question has been answered as best it can be and i will follow up by PM as requested.
0 replies
K
KEFF
K
KEFF 10
answered
Veteran Member

The license is new in comparison to others and for that reason no one really seems to know how it will work when it comes down to the line and that includes those who use it as well as those who wrote it.

True. But new doesn't have to mean worse, nor improved for that matter, we found that the old GPL didn't provide us with the copyright protection we want and that's the reason we changed to a license with strong copyright protection, yet still being free and giving us the possibility to provide copyright removal in a legal way, which is not the case under GPL 2.

For the time being, this is as good as it gets. If any improvements should show up, I for sure will investigate that, since I don't find this license to be 100% ideal either.

But for now it's the best one for us out there and surely nobody can hold that against Nick that he wanna protect his work and his copyright? Basically that's what we all wanna do by the end of the day, right?
0 replies
A
AusiMods
A
answered

I don't have a problem with anyone protecting their rights but always remember a license is only as good as the person reading it. Its a shame this license is set out the way it is but if its what works for fusion so be it i have other things i can play with until things are worked out at least.

Merry XMAS to all..

OuT
0 replies

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 9 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 5 members

5 participants

M
M
Paul

K
K
KEFF 10
A
A
W
W
  • Contributed 13 posts on the community forums.
D
D
DubSev 10
let's go f***ing mental! la la la la...
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 285 posts on the community forums.

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet