Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

upgraded, but got error

Asked Modified Viewed 3,843 times
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 82 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 21 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

After following the instructions precisely, I got the following message:

Warning: main(includes/multisite_include.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in ./maincore.php on line 68

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/multisite_include.php' (include_path='.:/nau/share/lib/php'wink in ./maincore.php on line 68

Any suggestions on how to recover? Or, do I need to start from scratch?

Thanks.

Jeff
Edited by jeffbloom on 30-11-2008 01:41,
0 replies

13 posts

J
Joe Kriz
J
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 281 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 39 threads in the forums
answered

Sounds like you have a missing or damaged multisite_include.php

I would start here:
1. Open up your root files
2. Open up includes folder
3. Put a fresh copy of the multisite_include.php in this includes folder.

Give it a try and let us know.
Make sure you have a fresh copy of that file even if you have to download it again.
0 replies
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
answered

Joe,

Thanks, but it didn't work.

If I decide to start from scratch, how likely is it that I'll get most of my content back, if I try to restore my backup? Or will this create further havoc?

Jeff
0 replies
J
Joe Kriz
J
answered

I don't see where it would hurt as long as you have 2 things.

1. A complete fresh backup of your version 6 DB
2. A complete backup of your new version 7 DB

As long as you have good copies of your DB, you can always get things back the way they were.
You might start out by just uploading all the core files for version 7. Maybe something got messed up when uploading them the first time.

I know I messed up my first try at upgrading to version 7. I didn't read the manual like you did.
After that, the first thing to do is upload the upgrade.php file and put it in the administration folder. Then go to the admin panel and click upgrade.
This upgrades the database to version 7 before you put any new files in the root.
Then go to the root and upload all the new files.

Of course I backed up the version 6 DB just in case. I still have that as a matter of fact just for general purpose.
0 replies
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
answered

Well.... I tried reinstalling 7.00 from scratch. After uploading all of the files and changing the permissions, I got the following message

Warning: main(locale/English/setup.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 24

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'locale/English/setup.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/nau/share/lib/php'wink in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 24

Warning: opendir(locale/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 1190

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 1191

Warning: closedir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 1198

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
0 replies
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
answered

Thought I'd try going back to 6. I reinstalled these files and then tried going to the setup page, but got this:

Warning: Unknown(/home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Warning: (null)() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/nau/share/lib/php'wink in Unknown on line 0

Curiouser and curiouser.....

The site worked perfectly up until I tried updating to 7.
0 replies
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
answered

I really don't "know" what I'm doing here, but based on the error messages above, I've tried changing the permissions to some files (in v. 7.00.2). After changing "index.php" to 644, "maincore.php" to 644, and "setup.php" to 777, I now get two error messages followed by a box with three more error messages along with an empty pull-down menu with a bullet button (can't remember what this is actually called):

Warning: main(locale/English/setup.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 24

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'locale/English/setup.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/nau/share/lib/php'wink in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 24

IN BOX:

Warning: opendir(locale/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 1190

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 1191

Warning: closedir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/usr1/jwb2/public_html/setup.php on line 1198
0 replies
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
  • Fusioneer, joined since
  • Contributed 2,246 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 108 threads in the forums
answered
Fusioneer

I am not certain of what the exact rights should be, my servers mostly tell me that the uploaded files are 755, but I do know that giving maincore.php and other vital files, except config.php that should always be 644, other rights like 644 is asking for trouble. The setup.php should just be deleted. Follow the instructions in the Readme.htm.

On the other hand, I dont have a clue as to how setup a Multi site. :P
Edited by Homdax on 09-12-2008 19:18,
0 replies
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
answered

The problem is that I can't get to SET UP. When I upload the files, change the permissions as instructed, then go to the site to set up, all I get is error messages. I can't get any further than that. So, I thought that since the error messages are indicating permission problems that I might try temporarily changing permissions to see if I can at least get to the set-up page. It gets me a little further along, but it's still a no go.
0 replies
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
answered

SOLVED --

Here is the feedback from our web server admin:

The web server actually runs as a user called nobody, but most of your files were only readable by yourself.

He provided a way to change permissions throughout the site, instead of file by file.

I'm curious as to why I would run into this. It hasn't happened before with this site or with my other two sites.
0 replies
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
answered
Fusioneer

Aha. It got what I have stumbled over some times: httpd:httpd ownership. Or something similar. At an old host I used for a picture Gallery, occasionally al cached files went httpd:httpd and I was unable to modify anything at all. Site broken. Every time it happened I had to make a support ticket and it took days to fix. That is also why I moved that site to another location (host) from which I can set permissions recursively via a Web Control Panel they have for all customers. Used it as late as yesterday and it solved my issues within minutes.

Old host was IXWebhosting, new host became Servage.
Edited by Homdax on 10-12-2008 08:50,
0 replies
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
answered

Thanks!!

My sites so far are on my university's server. It's free, but not the best. Officially, tech support is not supposed to support anyone using PHP/MYSQL applications. But, I've been able to get through the back door to a couple of people willing to help. However, I may be putting up some sites on commercial servers. I've heard good things about Bravenet. Is anyone familiar with them? They do have PHP and MYSQL.
0 replies
J
Joe Kriz
J
answered

Glad you got it sorted out Jeff.

Happy Holidays.
0 replies
J
jeffbloom
J
  • Member, joined since
answered

Thanks, Joe. Have a great holiday, as well.

Jeff
0 replies

Category Forum

Upgrading issues - 8

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 13 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 3 members

3 participants

H
H
Homdax 10
J
J
J
J
  • Member, joined since

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet