Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

User creation problem

Asked Modified Viewed 6,547 times
J
jbrandru
J
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 1 post on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

Im having a really odd problem with my site

For the most mail activation works perfectly but some ppl are simply unable to create their users
They recive the activation email but for some reason the users ain't added to the fusion_new_user tabel in the database

From reading the code i can see that the user only is added to the database if the email is successfully sent so I think that the sendmail function fails to return true even tho the mail is sent
Do anyone have an idea what the problem could be ?

Im using version 7-00-05
Edited by jbrandru on 09-09-2009 23:57,
0 replies

15 posts

W
Welkin
W
Welkin 10
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

I got same problem.
They register and don't get a mail. If they try to re-register they get error message their mail address / user name is already in use.
They arent listed in 'not activated members' list. Where can I activate them manually or delete them then?
0 replies
— 1 year later —
L
Lord_Jereth
L
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 8 posts on the community forums.
answered

Hi folks,

Been scouring the forum for the answer to this exact problem, myself. While I hate to zombify old threads, I haven't found a real answer yet. I did find a thread with a code snippet for an "element" that would create a panel to alleviate the problem, but since I'm a PHP newb and there wasn't much clarification on how to go about implementing this code snippet (and the poster's site is all in Dutch, which I don't speak) I was wondering if there was an answer to this problem that I hadn't found, yet.

This is a problem and I really need a fix for it.

Any help would be appreciated,

B) LJ
0 replies
L
Lord_Jereth
L
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

Could really use some help with this, guys. Anyone?

B) LJ
0 replies
B
Billy_Macan
B
Brad Nicholas

PHP Fusion Staff Member

www.userbars.com/i/514856.png

www.userbars.com/i/458524.png
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 35 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 8 threads in the forums
answered

Hello, Please check your settings Under " Admin panel > Settings > Main ". & Ensure that your Website URL matches your Domain URL.If they are not the same then, This is most likely causeing your problem.
0 replies
L
Lord_Jereth
L
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

Thank you for your reply, Billy.

I think you're misunderstanding what I was asking for. I would like a way to see and delete those users which have registered but have not, for whatever reason, validated their email. It would be nice to be able to get rid of their email addresses from the database so that, if necessary, they can try again or so they can ask for a re-sending of the validation email.

Example: SirFred registers on my website. He gets sent the validation email but since he hasn't checked his email account in several days, his inbox is full. In his haste to clear the mess, he accidentally deletes the validation email. Now, not only can he not validate, he can not reapply with the same email address because that address is now in limbo. I have no way to clear it, so unless he wants to create another email address (which is not always possible for some people) and reapply with that new email address, he has no way to join my site. This is particularly vexing if it happens to be one of the members of the board of the club who the website is for.

I am asking if there is a way to access that information and clear it, or even resend the validation email. I am sure someone has figured out a way by now. I doubt I am the first to have this problem. I just haven't found that solution as yet.

Any further help you could lend would be much appreciated,

B) LJ
0 replies
R
Rolf Mayer
R
Ex
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 391 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 7 threads in the forums
answered

Try this: http://www.php-fusion.co.uk/infusions...ddon_id=98 It may help you, even it's not the perfect solution.
0 replies
C
Craig
C
Craig 14
  • Fusioneer, joined since
  • Contributed 4,462 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 212 threads in the forums
answered
Fusioneer

Aye that addon muck is linking too should help a wee bit.
0 replies
R
Rolf Mayer
R
Ex
answered

Fangree_Craig wrote:

My member name here is Ypsilon, please respect this, Fangree_Craig. Thank You.
0 replies
C
Craig
C
Craig 14
answered
Fusioneer

Ypsilon wrote:

Fangree_Craig wrote:

My member name here is Ypsilon, please respect this, Fangree_Craig. Thank You.

My name here is Fangree_Craig but you can call me Craig, Graig Pinhead or anything else you like. But sure thing, man. ;)

You are a funny guy. lol
0 replies
L
Lord_Jereth
L
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Ypsilon, thank you for the link, but that infusion doesn't address my problem. I actually have that infusion and it works quite well for when a user is awaiting admin validation or is already a validated member. I've used it very effectively with a few spammers to ban/block them when email validation was on. But if, such as in the example above, the user's name and email address are in "limbo" (email validation is on but the user can't validate via email for whatever reason) then the User Control infusion, like the rest of the site, doesn't see him, yet.

The example I gave in my prior post is very similar to something that has actually happened in the past on my site even with this infusion running. I can't find the user in question on the system and he's still locked out unless he creates another email address and user name. The user in question is a member of the board of directors but a little technically challenged and, because I am the admin, doesn't understand why I can't "just fix it!" :o

------------------------

I believe that there are four states of membership on PHPFusion:

1) Awaiting administrator validation.
2) Awaiting system validation via user email.
3) Pre-validated member (admin creates the account for the user in the admin CP).
4) Fully validated member.

Only three of these states (1, 3, 4) is parsed for the admin to be able to manipulate. It seems to me that state number 2) was indirectly coded with the (false in this case) assumption that the admin would never need to address it since the system itself, with the user's help, would take care of validation, freeing the admin to worry about other things. As we can see from my prior example, the system is imperfect (thanks to faulty user interaction) and there will be times that state number 2) needs to be addressed by an administrator.

The email validation system works and is very convenient for the admin if the user doesn't fumble it. The user is the weak link in the chain. Once a technically challenged user, which is sadly sometimes the vast majority, breaks that chain somehow, it becomes inconvenient for the admin in the extreme to rectify.

The ideal would be that the admin could see the account in state number 2) and either validate it manually, resend the validation email or delete the account altogether, freeing up the email address and user name for another attempt. I believe this state was overlooked in the initial coding stages of v7 and further believe that an infusion could be relatively easily made or found that should address this problem and its three ideal solutions. Sadly, I don't have the skill set to create such an infusion myself nor have I, as yet, found one that can do what I ask.

I guess I am asking (nay, humbly begging) the PHPFusion community and its pool of genius coders to address this problem and create said infusion, if possible, or help me find a better solution should one already exist.

Any further help would be much appreciated,

B) LJ
0 replies
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
  • Contributed 2,246 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 108 threads in the forums
answered
Fusioneer

Craig. Stop calling people anything they do not agree to. Even in jest. Please.
0 replies
C
Craig
C
Craig 14
answered
Fusioneer

I have a suggestion,

Perhaps adding to the CoC that all users must be addressed by their username and nothing else, or else action will be taken.

Edited by Craig on 03-04-2011 17:30,
0 replies
L
Lord_Jereth
L
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

Seriously?

Respectfully, I'm in a bind, here. I need your help and you're hijacking the thread and marginalizing the severity of my issue by bickering amongst yourselves. Out of nine replies, only three are actually addressing the problem. I'm not sure that this is really conducive to instilling confidence in your user base. Wouldn't it be better if you admins took this line of argument to PM?

Please, would it be possible to get back to the issue at hand? I really do need the help.

Thanks in advance,

B) LJ
0 replies
L
Lord_Jereth
L
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

After some time and more research, I finally found an existing infusion that will allow me to do at least most of what I asked for.

http://www.phpfusion-mods.net/infusio...mod_id=223

Sadly, it's (temporarily?) not being supported by its author due to his not having time to work with it at the moment. There are some minimal bugs (one I actually catalog and post the fix for on the download page) and it's a bit ugly, but it works.

Just putting this here for when other users search for the same thing.

------------------------------

Question:

According to the author, Basti, PHPFusion automatically removes unvalidated users from the database after 24 hours, if email validation is on. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

B) LJ
0 replies
P
PolarFox
P
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,633 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 29 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I am. Confirmed.

/themes/templates/footer.php
// Cron Job (24 HOUR)
if ($settings['cronjob_day'] < (time()-86400)) {

[...]

$result = dbquery("DELETE FROM ".DB_NEW_USERS." WHERE user_datestamp < '".(time()-86400)."'");
0 replies

Category Forum

User Administration - 8

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 15 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 8 members

8 participants

H
H
Homdax 10
  • Contributed 2,246 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 108 threads in the forums
C
C
Craig 14
L
L
  • Newbie, joined since
P
P
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,633 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 29 threads in the forums
J
J
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Started this discussions
W
W
Welkin 10
  • Newbie, joined since
B
B
Brad Nicholas

PHP Fusion Staff Member

www.userbars.com/i/514856.png

www.userbars.com/i/458524.png
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 35 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 8 threads in the forums
R
R
Ex

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet