Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Rocky Road (NOT Ice-Cream)

Asked Modified Viewed 1,122 times
G
Grimloch
G
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; only transformed !
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 722 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 141 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
  • Answered 2 questions
asked

I am very frustrated (even though I like most of it) with this CMS. It seems as though 'user-friendliness' has fallen by the wayside. I would like to share an email exchange between myself and a friend of mine (name not important), pertaining to PHPFusion.

My Friend Wrote:
It looks like php-fusion has come to a standstill...very few posts on the forum and even fewer responses.

My Answer:
Ya know in the old days of 6 and 7 we had to wait months and months for a fix release or a new release but now they are coding and releasing so damn fast that people just don't have the time to absorb and understand what's happening. It's really a shame too because Fusion is so great for the average webmaster (was anyway), I wonder if they even realize (or care) that they're just going too damn fast for most people !!!!!! ???????

My Friend Responded:
I personally don't think they care...they have left most of their users in the dust as only the better coders can follow what they are doing and are able to keep up. As I have said before, I'm actively looking for another CMS. I came across texpattern but that is another one that looks good, but is not your typical CMS. Maybe you might be able to work with it.

This pretty well sums up the reasons for my frustration. "Nuff Said" !
0 replies

8 posts

T
tocrah
T
tocrah 10
JSH
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 14 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 2 threads in the forums
answered

What exactly is the problem?
Programming infusions is pretty easy. If you want to switch to another CMS, then I would recommend one of the large CMS.
0 replies
D
daimonbok1
D
Into The Nebula! Is it Science or Science Fiction?
  • Contributed 626 posts on the community forums.
answered

Grimloch, I have only had great experiences as a webmaster running 9.03.70 A little rocky in the beginning with php 7.4 the way my web company set it up, but otherwise great running software.

NOW, I'm not trying to make infusions or themes, so can't speak on that end.

Gene!
0 replies
G
Grimloch
G
  • Answered 2 questions
answered

What exactly is the problem?
Programming infusions is pretty easy. If you want to switch to another CMS, then I would recommend one of the large CMS.

I didn't say there was a problem just expressing an opinion; all of my websites are running Fusion and it's the only CMS that I know reasonably well; I don't plan on switching.

@daimonbok1
The software runs extremely well (on a good hosting platform with proper settings) and I can attest to the fact that it's relatively easy to modify in most areas. My main frustration is in trying to keep up; things change so fast. smile
Edited by Grimloch on 23-08-2020 16:53,
1 reply
F
Falk
F
Falk 131
Need help?, Having trouble?
• View our Documentation for Guides, Standards and Functions
• Name and Organize your Topics and Content correctly in the corresponding Forums for best support results
• Attaching Log Files and Screenshots when reporting issues will help
• Provide with an URL to live example if one exists
• Please read the How to Report an Error post
• Please read and comply with the Code of Conduct

(¯·._.·(¯°·._.·°º*[ Project Manager ]*º°·._.·°¯)·._.·¯)
  • Super Admin, joined since
  • Contributed 6,201 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 639 threads in the forums
  • Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

It seems as though 'user-friendliness' has fallen by the wayside.

Please be more specific in what areas you think the user-friendliness has declined so we can improve.
We try to make everything as simple as possible for the webmasters while codes are indeed a tad more complex in v9 while v8 is still
for most parts procedural and works exactly as v7 did when it comes to custom Themes and Addons. We only gave it a facelift and some more options & features.

It looks like php-fusion has come to a standstill

This time of the year have always had low activity. But it is true that many CMS systems struggle with popularity vs social media platforms.

now they are coding and releasing so damn fast that people just don't have the time to absorb and understand what's happening.

The only thing we release very fast is bug fixes, features remains pretty much the same since the initial branch release. Next large update is Babylon (v10) but it is far from ready.

I personally don't think they care...they have left most of their users in the dust as only the better coders can follow what they are doing and are able to keep up.

Naturally we care. That is why we released v8. It is made for everyone who want v7 methods.
v8 it is essentially a enhanced v7 and it is still for most parts procedural and can do everything you did in v7 but in a modern hosting environment see release notes here : https://www.php-fusion.co.uk/infusion...admore=624 , no features have changed since it´s initial release, only fixes.
Edited by Falk on 24-08-2020 03:05,
0 replies
C
Chan
C
Chan 0
Lead Developer of PHP-Fusion
  • Contributed 3,841 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 232 threads in the forums
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

but now they are coding and releasing so damn fast that people just don't have the time to absorb and understand what's happening

I know what you mean but I hope you can stay calm about it, it's inevitable really.

But that doesn't mean everyone need to keep everything up to date, except security patches. Do it at your own pace.

Last time people work with roadmaps and collaboration is hard between 2 coders, but now it's reversed out as milestones... and one can push out a new code, the other can fix it, so development runs 24/7 as a result. Not to mention we have so many talented individuals in this project, it's like a dynamo. PHPFusion today has a very pleasant community, and we've replaced work delegation with self assignment. Most of us do it at our own pace and so far we've managed to keep up quite well.

Maybe due to such environment, some may felt they are left behind. In fact, they are not. If they charge up, and tell us they faced hiccups on doing this and that, I'm sure we'll be able to help most of the time.
1 reply
C
Chan
C
Chan 0
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

Yes, v9 is our flagship, and it is packed with a huge library support to make decent applications. Let the code sip in slowly, I'm already doing documentation by the days... but my time is limited to only a couple of hours in front of the PC so I can do the things I need to pay attention to, one of which is the questions raised by developers, especially developers who asks for clarifications.

Communication is definitely the way it should be, our Discord server is filled with people that can guide you through the loops and hoops in v9. Otherwise, most of us just look at the standard codes in their system and find their way through.

In modern workstation, code editor is not going to be enough because it doesn't support the project as a whole, just your file.
You'll need a fully qualified IDE to work with the entirety of the project, including composers dependencies.

A brief setup as follows: https://blog.theodo.com/2019/07/vsco...velopment/

Once you have this, you'll be able to see the whole PHPFusion v9 universe. It's not something to be feared of. Take your time to set it up. May take hours, weeks, months.. but get familiar with it is too important to work with v9.

And also, https://docs.php-fusion.co.uk/phpfusi...ting-addon, it is still WIP but I plan to finish it now before doing anything else, so everyone can get a deal of the basic necessities.
0 replies
C
Chan
C
Chan 0
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

That is why I say, if you use PHPFusion, just focus on PHP, MYSQL, JS, Jquery, and HTML (Bootstrap) if possible.
Edited by Chan on 25-08-2020 08:50,
0 replies
C
Chan
C
Chan 0
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

My Friend Responded:
I personally don't think they care...they have left most of their users in the dust as only the better coders can follow what they are doing and are able to keep up.

I've decided to ask Core Developers Team to join with me to host and organize an online workshop - https://www.php-fusion.co.uk/infusion...d_id=40159
0 replies

Category Forum

General Discussion

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 8 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 5 members

5 participants

F
F
Falk 131
Need help?, Having trouble?
• View our Documentation for Guides, Standards and Functions
• Name and Organize your Topics and Content correctly in the corresponding Forums for best support results
• Attaching Log Files and Screenshots when reporting issues will help
• Provide with an URL to live example if one exists
• Please read the How to Report an Error post
• Please read and comply with the Code of Conduct

(¯·._.·(¯°·._.·°º*[ Project Manager ]*º°·._.·°¯)·._.·¯)
  • Contributed 6,201 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 639 threads in the forums
  • Answered 11 questions
C
C
Chan 0
  • Answered 6 questions
T
T
tocrah 10
JSH
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 14 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 2 threads in the forums
G
G
  • Answered 2 questions
D
D
Into The Nebula! Is it Science or Science Fiction?
  • Contributed 626 posts on the community forums.

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet