Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Locale updates and downloads

Asked Modified Viewed 9,027 times
F
Falk
F
Falk 131
Need help?, Having trouble?
• View our Documentation for Guides, Standards and Functions
• Name and Organize your Topics and Content correctly in the corresponding Forums for best support results
• Attaching Log Files and Screenshots when reporting issues will help
• Provide with an URL to live example if one exists
• Please read the How to Report an Error post
• Please read and comply with the Code of Conduct

(¯·._.·(¯°·._.·°º*[ Project Manager ]*º°·._.·°¯)·._.·¯)
  • Super Admin, joined since
  • Contributed 6,201 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 639 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
  • Answered 11 questions
asked
Super Admin

We have locale downloads available under : Language Packs for PHPFusion 7.02.xx

Please post any updates locales here in the locales forum

If we do not have your locale available here, please check with our NSSes

If your country is not in our NSS list please consider to translate a English version to your language and send it to us.

National support site status ( NSS ) can be applied for here
Remember to read the requirements and expectations carefully before applying ( Rules and Regulations for National Support Sites ).
Edited by N/A on 22-07-2014 02:33,
0 replies

13 posts

B
Basti
B
Basti 10
[PHP-Fusion Crew Member & Admin from June 2008 - December 2010]

http://basti2web.de - Support Site for my infusions
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,099 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 32 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

German Locale in stock :G :D
0 replies
C
Chan
C
Chan 0
Lead Developer of PHP-Fusion
  • Contributed 3,841 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 232 threads in the forums
  • Answered 6 questions
answered
Super Admin

Thanks for all the hardwork Domi.
0 replies
J
JoiNNN
J
JoiNNN 10
  • Contributed 850 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 100 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

Looks good Domi but what's with the .rar files? Maybe we need the repo better organized, I'll come with an example soon.

Edit:
Right now in the original repo to download, update/change something you will be downloading ALL locales which is absolutely unnecessary and since the master repo contains the latest code committed seems you had to add .rar for the stable releases which is also unnecessary.

I've setup a repo at https://github.com/JoiNNN/PHPFusion-Locales as an example, here we have:
- a branch for each locale, so we won't download all locales when trying to change something. The users who update the locale will work on their own locale branch.
- releases for each stable version, after a release is made code can be committed to the branches, so the branches will always have the latest locale updates while using the releases for stable locale thus no need for a dev branch.
Edited by JoiNNN on 29-03-2014 18:08,
0 replies
F
Falk
F
Falk 131
• Name and Organize your Topics and Content correctly in the corresponding Forums for best support results

• Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

It looks really great!
But there are no counter on them archives.
That's why I added the files and linked to a raw download from our downloads to the stable Archives.
We should probably put em in a new branch called stable, but we will need to look at the structure for Github again when 8 will take it´s place there.
Perhaps we all can agree on a standard at that time.
0 replies
J
JoiNNN
J
JoiNNN 10
answered
Veteran Member

Domi wrote:
It looks really great!
But there are no counter on them archives.
That's why I added the files and linked to a raw download from our downloads to the stable Archives.

We'll link from this site directly to release links such as https://github.com/JoiNNN/PHPFusion-L....02.07.zip keeping counter stats and users who want to download form Github will find easier stable releases.
0 replies
W
Wanabo
W
Wanabo 10
www.probemyip.com/probe-my-ip-80x15.png
pHp-Fusion.Asia & pHp-Fusion.Fr & pHp-Fusion.Cn are available for a localized support community. Send PB for info.
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 598 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 94 threads in the forums
answered

Domi wrote:

You can update packs directly @ Github Locale

So basically your saying. There are no designated translators anymore. Any one can mess up the translations.

As (seems to be) former translator who spend a lot of time on translations this is an unpleasant surprise.
0 replies
J
JoiNNN
J
JoiNNN 10
answered
Veteran Member

@DOMI most of the locales marked as 7.02.07 are actually missing the locale lines added in this version. They need fixing or not linked as .07 ready.
All NSS should be required to publish a valid .07 ready locale by now, so at least we can update the Github repo if they are not going to.
0 replies
P
PeaceLaced
P
PHP-Fusion MAIN Support Team
PHP-Fusion USA NSS Admin
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 154 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 23 threads in the forums
answered

I created a spreadsheet of languages in relation to our 34. It contains the top 34 by population of native speaking people, as well as some other useful data.

This is a summary using 2007 statistics:

[ulist=disc]of 34 PHPFusion languages, 13 are in the TOP 34 by Native Speakers.[/ulist][ulist=disc]of 34 PHPFusion languages, 31 are in the Google Translate Database.[/ulist]
[ulist=disc]PHPFusion has 7 in the TOP 13 by population of Native Speakers
These 7 languages count for 27.70% of the world population.
The 6 that we do not have count for 23.30% of the world population.
These languages include Chinese, Bengali, Japanese, Punjabi, Javanese, and Wu.[/ulist]
(I use top 13 because 50% of the world speak these 13 languages, and the remaining 50% of the world speak the remaining 6000+ languages, yes I said 6000)

[ulist=disc]Total PHPFusion language coverage by population equals 35.99%
If we had Just the top 13, plus the others we currently have, we would be at 59.29% world population coverage.[/ulist]
[ulist=disc]If we take the TOP 34 by population of native speaking, cross that with google translate, and figure out which we do not have PHPFusion language files for, we get a number equal to 30.85%. (current plus top 34 in google would give us almost 67%)[/ulist]
It may be possible to bolster our numbers by using google translate. This may attract people who speak the language fluently. Enough so that they want to help improve where translate did not work correctly.

I have attached the spreadsheet for your viewing pleasure.

Enjoy, B
Edited by PeaceLaced on 30-03-2014 00:55,
PeaceLaced attached the following file:
php-fusion_language_research29mar2014.zip [No information available / 780 Downloads]
0 replies
F
Falk
F
Falk 131

• Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

We'll link from this site directly to release links such as

I do not see how that is much different from the way it is done now, except the path.
As I mentioned above, we can look on the structure more close when it is time to add v8 structure. But this is how it is going to be done.
A open archive and a file for download that are linked to from here.

most of the locales marked as 7.02.07 are actually missing the locale lines added in this version.

From the download here, most of em are also listed 7.02.xx
But yeah it is a shame that so many ignores the update, alto it have little impact on the everyday use of most sites.

There are no designated translators anymore. Any one can mess up the translations.

We are in this as open source, we need to be open even with these files.
Anyone can request an update of these, yes.
We do not need to accept all of these requests and updates.
Locales is one of these things we need to be careful on and where we would need to double check. esp if it is a language that have a dedicated translator here.
Nothing prevents designated translators to remain designated.
We have the stable archived file as the download just for these reasons among others as mentioned above.
If a trusted translator comes with a new file we will just update the stable with that and the archive with his work.
Let´s not exaggerate or even imply that there need to be a negative impact out of this. I only see possibilities here.

@BrandonBlack
Very interesting read, thank you !
I hope we get a Chinese translation soon.
I am reluctant to Google translate at this stage.

I would like to remind everyone that our former Locale archive contained 15 translations. Most of the updates where done in 2011 to these.
Our new archive have a total 34 translations where many have been updated recently.
0 replies
H
Homdax
H
Homdax 10
  • Fusioneer, joined since
  • Contributed 2,246 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 108 threads in the forums
answered
Fusioneer

I concur with Domi about the Google Translate approach. I speak and write three languages. If the input is flawed, the output will be garbage. Many of us may have access to the Microsoft Translator Engine in Office 2010 and later (which is reputed to be better than Google), same goes there. If you have a badly written sentence in English, the result in Swedish, or any other language I would presume, will require a total rewrite and you might have done that from start.

As for locales, well, that is of course shorter sentences and even single words so it may not be that difficult, but you always have to keep context in mind. That means translation and corrections on the fly and corroboration and verification of a correct understanding and placement in the interface.

That is why I have direct file access implemented on my NSS, to try to catch the errors immediately as I see them by editing the locale on the fly and review. But I can not catch all, even if a translation is in place it may be an incorrect wording for that exact context. So we also rely heavily on reporting.
Edited by Homdax on 30-03-2014 16:37,
0 replies
P
PeaceLaced
P
PHP-Fusion USA NSS Admin
  • Member, joined since
answered

This artificially intelligent translation of languages issue should be approached no differently than the way we approach the different levels of skill pertaining to programming on this site.

Beginning programmers are allowed to come here, as I have done, and post their code to your forum, no matter how rough, out of wack, incorrectly formatted, etc, etc. Same for intermediate, advanced, and professional. So too should this be the "standard operating procedure" of people translating language files.

An artificially intelligent translation, in my eyes, is no different than a person beginning on the road of programming. Context is usually horrible, placement of language specific elements are wrong, however legible, among other things that differentiate a beginner from an advance user or professional.

The point here is to "spark" the motivation of someone simply by starting. We should be after "attraction" over "accuracy" in the beginning. To circumvent any confusion as to translation legitimacy we could create a branch of translations that include versions done through artificial intelligence and thoroughly mark them as so. Call them, officially unofficial if you want.

(A little off the subject, I lived in Okinawa Japan for over 4 years and always came across their Japanese to English translations, and they were so wrong, but in a cute way that it always made us laugh. Many times I would strike up a conversation with them to help explain the context or format of their translation better, so they could better promote their product. Similarly, and on the note of "attraction", we want to attract people who are helpful to the community. I am a strong believer in "If you build it, they will come". So if you build an incorrect translation, you will attract people of that language who are helpful. It is a simple formula actually.)

Another point I would like to make on this subject is the fact that, as it stands now, in order to get what you consider a legitimate translation, there is a requirement for someone to be bilingual. However, if we do a rough translation, mark them as so and package them for download, we have essentially removed the bilingual necessity. Now, someone who only knows the language can come in, make corrections, and with a few intelligently placed lines directing them toward a submission area or forum thread, they can post what they have created for the fusion world to use.

PS. I have dibs on Latin.
0 replies
F
Falk
F
Falk 131

• Answered 11 questions
answered
Super Admin

Yes, it is a possible path.

I am also considering the possibility of short sentences and single words actually might not be that bad as Richard mentioned.

If you build it, they will come

It is usually true and one of my absolute favorite quotes.
However some constructions can be so bad that "they" prefer to run.

Some AI Translations might be just that bad.

Have you seen these mass translated production pages about foods or remedy's etc etc?
If you have , you will know what I talk about.

The translations on these sites just do not do em justice and have more of a negative effect.

If we do not have a decent reliable control of the translation after it is done, it is just hard to know how people will react when using it.
Mind you it can and will probably also differ from Lang to Lang.

Let´s give it a while and we can take up the subject after v8 is out if we seem to still be lacking some key translations.
Edited by N/A on 31-03-2014 06:19,
0 replies
P
PeaceLaced
P
PHP-Fusion USA NSS Admin
  • Member, joined since
answered

Sounds good Domi, to be readdressed after v8. B
0 replies

Category Forum

Locales Forum - 8

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 13 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 7 members

7 participants

F
F
Falk 131

• Answered 11 questions
P
P
PHP-Fusion USA NSS Admin
  • Member, joined since
H
H
Homdax 10
  • Fusioneer, joined since
  • Contributed 2,246 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 108 threads in the forums
W
W
Wanabo 10
www.probemyip.com/probe-my-ip-80x15.png
pHp-Fusion.Asia & pHp-Fusion.Fr & pHp-Fusion.Cn are available for a localized support community. Send PB for info.
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 598 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 94 threads in the forums
B
B
Basti 10
[PHP-Fusion Crew Member & Admin from June 2008 - December 2010]

http://basti2web.de - Support Site for my infusions
  • Contributed 1,099 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 32 threads in the forums
C
C
Chan 0
Lead Developer of PHP-Fusion
  • Contributed 3,841 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 232 threads in the forums
  • Answered 6 questions
J
J
JoiNNN 10

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet