Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

Locale switching/choosing

Asked Modified Viewed 3,096 times
H
hen3ry
H
hen3ry 10
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 53 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 25 threads in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

Folks:

I inherited a v6.00-303 PF site that supported two languages, English and Polish. The site was configured with a Language Chooser in the right hand corner, allowing visitors to choose the language using a 2-item pulldown ("English" and "Polski"wink or simply by clicking on a British or Polish flag. All good -- for a while.

Well, the site got hacked, v6.00 is generally considered to be full of security problems, so my first task as webmaster is to upgrade to PF v7.0x.

What's relevant about the upgrade is that the Language Chooser infusion was specific to v6, and won't work in v7. The developer has abandoned the project, so no hope there.

I've searched everywhere and found only two language switchers for V7, essentially the same code, requiring manual patching of maincore.php. Not great from a long-term maintenance view. Maybe that will work...

My questions:

1. Are there other alternative Language Choosers for v7?

2. What is the underlying language support model for PF? Tekkies can install multiple locales, Admins can set the default language, and users can individually switch among supported languages, right? But for users to set their own language they must navigate to their Profile settings, correct? What if they don't comprehend the default language?

In other words, assuming multi-locales are common, why isn't there much more Language Chooser support?

3. Is there a more appropriate place to discuss this issue?

TIA,

Henry
0 replies

5 posts

G
GameAction
G
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 50 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 2 threads in the forums
answered

the best thing is to use the builtin multisite function so you can have two full site, or more, with different language but that share members
0 replies
H
HobbyMan
H
Just some Guy
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,486 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 91 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

H
hen3ry
H
hen3ry 10
  • Member, joined since
answered

GameAction:

Thanks for your response:

GameAction wrote:
the best thing is to use the builtin multisite function so you can have two full site, or more, with different language but that share members

This is the first I've heard about the new multisite function. I'm learning about it as fast as I can. So far it looks reasonable... but I would like to consider the disadvantages, if any.

Thanks,

Henry
0 replies
H
hen3ry
H
hen3ry 10
  • Member, joined since
answered

Hobbyman:

Thanks for your response:

HobbyMan wrote:
First hit on google

http://engine.redward.org/download_3-...tcher.html

Yeah, that's one of the two almost identical ones I found, mentioned in my original post. As I mentioned, both require patching maincore.php, and --apparently-- to make nav panels work correctly, about 15 further patches.

(Why? Briefly, the PE code that gets links for various nav panels from the DB site_links table is not language-setting sensitive. With patching, these navs list all applicable links, regardless of language.)

I suppose I could live with one patch, but if I need 16 to make this work, I'm guessing I'm asking for a function that PF isn't really prepared to do.

The only alternative seems to be the "new" multisite capability. I think it's equivalent to maintaining two separate sites, each using a single locale, but sharing a database. I just heard about this two hours ago and I haven't been able to learn more quite yet.

Thanks,

Henry

Henry
0 replies
H
HobbyMan
H
Just some Guy
answered
Veteran Member

but if I need 16 to make this work, I'm guessing I'm asking for a function that PF isn't really prepared to do.

You guessed right and that amount of patching will make upgrading difficult.
0 replies

Category Forum

Locales Forum - 8

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 5 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 3 members

3 participants

G
G
  • Member, joined since
  • Contributed 50 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 2 threads in the forums
H
H
Just some Guy
H
H
hen3ry 10
  • Member, joined since

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet