Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?

JQuery

Asked Modified Viewed 4,708 times
R
rentaprogrammer
R
Mark Colbath
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.mpcsol.com PHP, Ajax, MySQL and Javascript Programming Services
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 4 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 1 thread in the forums
  • Started this discussions
asked

How many of you use JQuery versus coding Ajax by hand. Most of my Ajax experience is hand coded, so I get a little impatient with Ajax. I'm kind of old school (well, I'm 43, programming for 27 years); so if a library seems like it gets in the way more than it helps, I usually chuck it.
0 replies

Poll: How do you code your Ajax?

JQuery [10/12]83 %
    Custom [2/12]17 %
    Other [0/12]0 %

9 posts

G
GMUDuckman
G
  • Senior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 266 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 6 threads in the forums
answered

i felt the same way at first, but once i FORCED myself to sit down and use JQuery it made things not only quicker, but more portable as well. If you use JQuery and JQueryUI you can make a professional web application in mere hours when writing everything (all the functions/debugging you own script) would take days/weeks. now that i use jquery i swear by it.
0 replies
P
PolarFox
P
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,633 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 29 threads in the forums
answered
Veteran Member

JQuery better than too much [my own] dusty code. And cross platformed, all-included - best way I guess.
0 replies
R
rentaprogrammer
R
Mark Colbath
Senior Software Engineer
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

Yeah, my gut is to resist jQuery but I am facing a mountain of code to replace if I don't embrace it. I have a client in Europe whom buys buggy, incomplete web applications from Indian programmers and asks me to re-engineer them to be efficient and work well. I guess it's come full circle. Much of my work was off-shored about 9 years ago, but now it's washing back on the beach like flotsam and jetsam. Main difference is the price is more reasonable these days; my rate has been reduced about 60%, but I never thought rates back in the heyday (Y2K and pre-9/11) were sustainable. Guess I should have went to plumbing school if I wanted to earn real money. :P
0 replies
J
josephting
J
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 2 posts on the community forums.
answered

For me, I code them using jQuery.
To be honest, I'm newbie in this. I find jQuery very useful because of its documentation. And a lot of them are done for you therefore, I don't have to re-code something that I already can get by using jQuery.

Well, this is just my opinion and there are different ways of doing things and which one prefer.
0 replies
G
GMUDuckman
G
answered

josephting wrote:
For me, I code them using jQuery.
To be honest, I'm newbie in this. I find jQuery very useful because of its documentation. And a lot of them are done for you therefore, I don't have to re-code something that I already can get by using jQuery.

Well, this is just my opinion and there are different ways of doing things and which one prefer.

even if you aren't a newby, why wouldn't you use it? its like saying "i'm not going use use Java's Array List because I can write my own"... if you are provided with a working, stable, library, what the point in NOT using it? Granted using Java's data structures library is a horrible example because they are wildly inefficient, but you get what i'm saying!
0 replies
R
rentaprogrammer
R
Mark Colbath
Senior Software Engineer
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

I ended up replacing the jquery code in the application I'm repairing with my own custom library because when the server returned errors, the JQuery code was passing them onto IE, which caused it to stop parsing Javascript until page reload. I don't think it was JQuery's fault; very likely it was the script I inherited. But I could not find the IE/JQuery weaknesses until I got in and started converting code. Firefox kept working after encountering the same errors.

So another lesson to be learned; if it works on IE, it'll work anywhere. :) (general rule of thumb anyway).
0 replies
J
josephting
J
  • Newbie, joined since
answered

GMUDuckman wrote:
even if you aren't a newby, why wouldn't you use it? its like saying "i'm not going use use Java's Array List because I can write my own"... if you are provided with a working, stable, library, what the point in NOT using it? Granted using Java's data structures library is a horrible example because they are wildly inefficient, but you get what i'm saying!

Ya. That's right. :D
Reinventing wheel doesn't save petrol. LoL~
0 replies
M
mbtshoes
M
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 1 post on the community forums.
answered

Thanks for your sharing.
0 replies
J
Jeepers1993
J
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 45 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 2 threads in the forums
answered

JQuery is the only one which can be used in cross-domain ajax (view JSONP), so I'm using that one. Only disadvantage is that it uses an iframe hack to do so, a heavy load of ajax requests may cause iframes to pop up (but that's rather rare).
Edited by Jeepers1993 on 16-08-2010 11:39,
0 replies

Category Forum

General Discussion

Labels

None yet

Statistics

• Views 0 views
  • Posts 9 posts
  • Votes 0 votes
  • Topic users 6 members

6 participants

J
J
  • Junior Member, joined since
  • Contributed 45 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 2 threads in the forums
P
P
  • Veteran Member, joined since
  • Contributed 1,633 posts on the community forums.
  • Started 29 threads in the forums
G
G
R
R
Mark Colbath
Senior Software Engineer
  • Newbie, joined since
J
J
  • Newbie, joined since
M
M
  • Newbie, joined since
  • Contributed 1 post on the community forums.

Notifications

Track thread

You are not receiving notifications from this thread.

Related Questions

Not yet